Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Brakes Bleed, Hearts Don't

I got some suggestions on what to look at for the smokey exhaust, turbo, and dipstick. 

I checked the PCV and hose to the air cleaner. 


It was pretty creamy in there. I cleaned the hose and the valve. The question is did this moisture come from the atmosphere or coolant? 

A bypass valve had been fitted by a previous owner. When I was checking the air box I noticed that the bypass valve was dripping with oil. I wonder if the piston can move properly with all of the oil in there. 



In the intake..


Compression output...


Air intake elbow...

 
I know that a certain amount of oil is normal in the intake from the turbo. Does this look like more then normal?  

There was no lateral shaft play in the turbo, but a bit up and down. I've been told this is normal.  


I think I located the source of smoke from the exhaust side of the turbo. You can see the oil leaking from the waste gate and dripping on the chassis.

Why am talking about all this in a post that is supposed to be about breaks? At the very least the valves need to be adjusted. The waste gate may need to be rebuilt. I'd like to be able to drive the car to my mechanic, Mike Connelly. So that means getting the brakes sorted.


 


Both front brakes were seized and the rears were draggy. I figured that meant the parking brake was sticking, but it released fine. The fluid reservoir was pretty dirty so I figured the fluid was probably pretty old. I flushed each diagonal circuit and then bleed each brake. Here is a sample of the crud that came out with the old brake fluid.


The result was functioning brakes with good feel. I backed up down the driveway and tried some quick stops. Success!

By the way I'm pretty sure the rear axel is a 900 unit (no hub centering ring), but the front brakes are original 99. I might upgrade the fronts hubs to early 900 if any brake work is needed.

While I was driving up and down the driveway I noticed some extra noise when I applied the clutch pedal. Shit eating grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment