Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Exhausted? Not yet!

Two owners ago this car was used for autocross. The owner decided to remove the muffler and re-route the exhaust pipe to just in front of the passenger rear wheel. Here is a good picture of the previous setup.

 
For the sake of my ears, muffler-less would get old fast on a cross country trip, I want to revert back to the stock setup.

Starting from the cat moving back there is a steel section, flanged to match the cat. On the rear side of the pipe a small section has been welded on.


The pipe is 33 inches long.


The outside diameter of the welded section is 2 7/16 inches. I think this is an odd size for pipe.  


Next I have an aluminum intermediate pipe seen below.  


I tried to stretch the inlet of the aluminum intermediate pipe to fit over the welded section on the steel  pipe to the cat. That didn't work.  


Moving back down the system, the other side of the aluminum intermediate pipe fits well into the muffler I have.


 Here is the label on the muffler.


When I try to join the rear exhaust pipe to the muffler I get this. That is muffler on the top and the rear pipe on the bottom.    


The rear pipe is nearly the same size as the muffler pipe. I am thinking that this rear pipe is for a non-turbo?   


Thats the rundown. I'm left with a few questions. 
  1. Should I cut off the welded steel section on the cat pipe? Anyone know how long that pipe is supposed to be? 
  2. Is the rear pipe the wrong diameter for a turbo car? 





No comments:

Post a Comment